Windows 10 is without a doubt Microsoft’s best operating system since Windows. It is now almost a year since it was launched and to that effect, Microsoft announced that the Windows 10 anniversary update is coming to all Windows 10 devices for free on the 2nd of August 2016.
After offering a free upgrade, Windows 10 continues to be the fastest-growing version of Windows ever and is now running on more than 350 million devices. This free upgrade offer ends on July 29th 2016 which you should take advantage of if you haven’t yet.
According to the Microsoft Blog, the Windows 10 Anniversary Update has all-new breakthrough features that bring Windows Ink and Cortana to the mainstream; a faster, more accessible and more power-efficient Microsoft Edge browser; advanced security features for consumers and enterprises; new gaming experiences; and new tools for the modern classroom.
To help protect businesses from today’s modern threats, Microsoft also announced two new security features for enterprise customers: Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection and Windows Information Protection, formerly referred to as enterprise data protection.
“When we introduced Windows 10, our vision was not only to deliver the best and most secure version of the OS ever, it was also to create an experience that would keep getting better,” said Terry Myerson, executive vice president, Windows and Devices Group. “The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is a great example of this — and we look forward to building on it even further in the future.”
Key features to look forward to
- Improved Security: For all Windows 10 customers, the Anniversary Update brings new improvements to Windows Hello and Windows Defender. Windows Defender anti-malware improves with the option to automatically schedule periodic quick scans of a PC, and provide notifications and summaries when scans are complete and if scans find any threats.
- Windows Ink: An all-new experience that puts the power of Windows in the tip of a digital pen enables people to write on a device as they would on paper. Integration with Office and other applications such as Microsoft Edge and Maps bring the power of inking everywhere.
- Improvements to Cortana: The world’s most productive personal digital assistant gets even better with access above the lock screen, more ways to remember with the ability for Cortana to save and recall information, and synchronization across devices.2
- Increased power efficiency, extensions and accessibility with Microsoft Edge. The Anniversary Update includes even more power-saving improvements in Microsoft Edge, using fewer CPU cycles, consuming less memory, and minimizing the impact of background activity and peripheral content such as Flash advertisements.
- An even better gaming experience: With Xbox Play Anywhere, gamers can buy a game once and play on a Windows 10 PC or Xbox One with shared progress, shared game saves and shared achievements. Every new title published from Microsoft Studios will support Xbox Play Anywhere and will be easily accessible in the Windows Store on both Windows 10 and Xbox One.
The Windows 10 anniversary update will only be available to those who have upgraded to Windows 10 which will only be available till July 29th 2016.