m:lab East Africa is a consortium of four organizations aiming to be a leader in identifying, nurturing and helping to build sustainable enterprises in the knowledge economy. The consortium members and their roles are :-
- eMobilis, Education, training, accredition and certification.
- World Wide Web Foundation – curriculum and content, training and Education
- The University of Nairobi School of Computing and Informatics for rigorous academic research
- iHub for community interaction, development space, events and access to capital and markets
The consortium’s mission is “to facilitate demand-driven innovation by regional entrepreneurs, ensuring that breakthrough low-cost, high-value mobile solutions can be developed and scaled-up into sustainable businesses that address social needs”.
Activities and undertakings of m:lab East Africa will be guided by the following strategic objectives :-
- Providing world class business and technical training to high potential individuals on mobile application development and entrepreneurship
- Facilitating demand driven innovation through rigorous and ground breaking market research
- Supporting developers and entrepreneurs in achieving their potential with a world class knowledge repository on ICT4D, business advice, coaching, mentoring and professional services
- Providing a high quality and appropriately subsidized physical infrastructure for the initial operations of high potential start-ups
- Facilitating access to finance and access to markets for scale up of innovative mobile applications
- Providing quality assurance services for consumers and implementers of mobile solutions through a world class application testing facility
- Fostering competition for ideas among applications developers and entrepreneurs to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship
- Facilitating the replication of successful mobile applications, between countries, languages and operating systems.
- To maintain a regional reach, supporting the growth of entrepreneurs with a mobile focus in Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya, Somalia and Southern Sudan
- Achieving profitability and sustainability within the first 24 months of operations
*This is a curation of all Tech Hubs In Africa by Dignited.
Location: Nairobi - Kenya