Starting today, your UberX ride is simply a tap away — if you live in Nairobi Kenya.
Advertisement - Continue reading below
— Uber Kenya (@uber_kenya) January 21, 2015
What is uberX?
For those who don’t know, uberX is our low-cost alternative to move you around Nairobi in a safe, cheap and reliable way. Our uberX platform is already available in many African cities, such as Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Lagos, Cairo, and now it has arrived in Nairobi!
Uber claims it’s a safe transportation network because its partner drivers follow “gold standard safety measures, designed to improve safety & reliability”. The Safety features include: Driver information, live GPS enabled map, ability for riders to give feedback, cashless transactions and all drivers are put through rigorous biometric based criminal background checks.
Uber is driving adoption by offering 20% discount for every ride for the next two weeks
What does it cost to use Uber?
- Base Far KES100 + KES 4 per minute + KES 60 per km
- Cancellation: KES 300
- Minimum Fare: KES 500
- To celebrate Uber’s launch into Nairobi all riders will get a 20% discount on their fares, for two weeks only starting today
What type of car?
- Riders can expect uberX vehicles that are Toyota Corollas, Fielders or equivalent.
How to Get and start using Uber in Nairobi
- Download Uber via the App Store on iOS, Android or Windows or sign up here
- Register your account with a credit card or debit card (Visa/MasterCard)
- Drop the pin on your pick up location & track the car in real-time