Yesterday Samsung launched its next flagship device the Samsung Galaxy S6. The S6 has a variant, the Galaxy S6 Edge that features a screen that curves around the side of the device. More visibly Samsung has caved in to users’ demands of metallic bodied devices instead of plastic ones which has been one the biggest criticism of Samsung devices. The device maker has also been labeled as an Apple “copycat”. Samsung’s inclusion of a new mobile NFC-based Payment featured dubbed “Samsung Pay” akin to Apple’s “Apple Pay” available on the iPhone 6 further reinforces this old belief.
Here are some the differences between the Samsung’s latest flagship device, the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S5.
- The S6 comes with Google’s OS Android 5.0 Lollipop right out of the box while the S5 comes with Android 4.4 Kitkat although its upgradeable to Lollipop
- The Galaxy S6 has a sharper display even though both support the Super AMOLED display Technology. The S6 comes with a better resolution of 2560 x 1440, 577 ppi compared to the S5’s 1920 x 1080 resolution, 432 ppi
- The Galaxy S6 packs more 4 more cores than the S5. While the S5 blazes with 2.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801, the S6 smokes with that 8-core Exynos 7420 processor that clocks in at 3 Ghz.
- Galaxy S6 more RAM than the S5. It packs 3GB RAM, which is 1GB More than the the S5.
- Samsung fans can forget about the advantages of swappable memory. The S5 handsomely came with 16/32 GB, expandable with a MicroSD card. That’s all history now with the S6 which comes with 32/64/128 GB variations. Sorry guys, You can’t add more memory to it.
- On the camera front, both the Galaxy S6 and the S5 sport a 16MP rear camera. However, the S6 is a lot better for the selfie lovers sine it comes with a slighter better front-facing camera of 5MP compared to the S5’s 2MP front cam.
- The Galaxy S6 surprisingly has less battery life than the S5. It comes with 2,550 mAh compared to the S5 that sports a 2,800 mAh. However, Samsung has made charging faster and wireless with the S6.
- Physically the S6 weighs slightly less than the S5. The S6 is 7 grams lighter than the S5. More visibly the Galaxy S6 is designed with a metallic cover instead of Plastic which has been the norm with previous Samsung Flagship devices.
- The Galaxy includes mobile payment feature Samsung has dubbed “Samsung Pay” akin to Apple’s Apple Pay with the Galaxy S6.
|Samsung Galaxy S5||Samsung Galaxy S6|
|Display||5.1-inch Super AMOLED
1920 x 1080 resolution, 432 ppi
|5.1-inch Super AMOLED
2560 x 1440 resolution, 577 ppi
|Processor||2.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801
Adreno 330 GPU
|RAM||2 GB||3 GB|
|Storage||16/32 GB, expandable||32/64/128 GB|
|Camera||16 MP ISOCELL camera
2 MP front-facing camera
|16 MP rear camera with OIS
5 MP front-facing camera with 90 degree wide angle lens
Advertisement - Continue reading below
Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, GPS+GLONASS
Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, GPS+GLONASS
|Networks||3G/4G LTE||LTE cat 6 300/50|
|Battery||2,800 mAh||2,550 mAh
WPC and PMA-compatible wireless charging
|Software||Android 4.4 Kitkat (upgradeable to Lollipop)||Android 5.0 Lollipop|
|Dimensions||142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm
|143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8 mm
|Colors||Black, white, gold, blue||Black, white, gold, blue|
The Samsung Galaxy is expected to ship on 10th April. Usually it’s availability in Africa specifically Uganda a month after the international shipping date. So we shall keep you posted on its price and availability in Uganda as soon as we get that information.