Multichoice, the parent company of satellite digital service provider DStv is taking intense heat from Netflix, the online video and movie streaming company. The company is now building TV for the internet generation with its DStv Now.
A month ago the company announced support for DStv now app on Samsung, Apple and Android TV platforms. Now they are extending that even further to LG smart TVs, specifically most 2017 and 2018 models running webOS 3.5 and 4.0.
The DStv Now app is available in the respective Smart TV App stores.
How to install new DStv Now app for LG smart TVs
- Connect the TV to the internet using ethernet cable or Wi-Fi
- Access the LG App Store from the TV, search for “DStv Now”, and install the app
- Once installed, the app will display a code on the TV screen
- On a laptop/desktop, go to http://now.dstv.com and sign in (DStv subscribers who haven’t yet registered for a Connect ID will first need to visit https://connect.dstv.com/registration/en-za)
- Once signed in, go to http://now.dstv.com/tv and enter the code displayed on the TV, then click on the “Sign in on TV” button
- The app will now be live on the TV
In addition to LG smart TVs, DStv app is also available on;
- Samsung smart TVs (selected models from 2015 onwards)
- Apple TV (4th generation & newer)
- Media players running Android TV (Google certified devices only)
DStv Now started as a video streaming Android and iOS smartphone/tablet app in 2014. But now the service is extending to Internet-enabled Smart TVs. That means DStv customers can still enjoy DStv content without a decoder. Only a smartphone or smart TV with fast internet is needed.
DStv Now is available free to all DStv customers (the specific content available is linked to the customer’s DStv package). With DStv Now, two different streams can be viewed on separate devices simultaneously. This means a single account can be used to watch TV via a decoder in the lounge, a movie on a tablet in the bedroom via DStv Now, and sport on another smart TV using DStv Now. It’s also a great way for kids who are away from home to get the most from the family’s DStv subscription.
DStv Now is an OTT internet streaming video service. It’s ideal when used with a high-speed uncapped home internet connection or anywhere with free WiFi access. Data usage may be charged by the ISP or mobile network.