Here’s how to track the status of your National ID registration

national id

Having a National ID is quickly becoming an essential tool when it comes to receipt of services with in Uganda. It has even marked a thick boundary between mobile network customers that qualify to have their SIM cards on, and those that do not.

Since the validation process requires one to present their National Identification Number (NIN), many people are flocking various offices to get their card or to register their identity; with all hope lying in the hands of National Identification and Registration Authority.

Advertisement - Continue reading below

This post serves to guide you on how to quickly know the status of yo ID registration, with no need for standing and waiting in the long queues.

All you need to have is an operating sim card, so that you dial the USSD code reserved for NIRA to track national ID registration, and the application form with which you registered for your National identity.

Dial *216#

This has no mobile network limitations. You can use your Airtel,  Africell,  MTN Uganda,  UTL, Smile, Vodafone line, or any other operational in Uganda.

1. Request NIN

You can select this option in case you want to know your national identification number (NIN), for purposes of registration and any other related circumstances. This can cover up for the delay in receiving the card. Here, you are required to enter your surname, given name, and application ID. This application ID is found on the form with which you apply for the National ID.

Update (08/08/19): The option to request for NIN has since been revoked. 

National ID registration

2. Apply for ID

Here you will need to state whether you are a citizen by birth or by another category. Here you are asked to prove your citizenship with the relevant documents to be presented.

3. ID Status

This basically tracks how far your ID processing has gone. You are required to enter your surname, given name, and application ID.

4. Replace ID

This helps you to get a new national ID in case you lost or damaged the one you had before. For a lost ID, you are required to get a police report, fill a form got from NIRA offices, attach a bank receipt for payment of Ugx 50,000, and visit NIRA offices to make a replacement. For a damaged ID, you only need to fill a form, and attach a payment receipt.

5. Correct Information

If you are not satisfied with some of the information relayed on your national identity card, you have the right to correct it. Here you are advised to visit NIRA offices at Kololo Airstrip for further guidance.

Image: NIRA