Artificial intelligence, machine learning, and deep learning are terms that have been used interchangeably. This doesn’t mean that they are similar. In fact, there exists some similarities and differences in those terminologies.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
This the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks normally requiring human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages.
Artificial intelligence is a broader concept that consists of machine learning and deep learning. Whenever a machine completes tasks based on a set of stipulated rules that solve problems, this behavior is what is termed artificial intelligence.
What is Machine Learning?
This is the application of artificial intelligence that provides systems the ability to automatically learn and improve from experience without being explicitly programmed. Machine learning focuses on the development of computer programs that can access data and use it to learn on their own.
The process of learning begins with observations or data, such as examples, direct experience, or instruction, in order to look for patterns in data and make better decisions in the future based on the examples that the user/operator provides. The primary aim is to allow the computers to learn automatically without human intervention or assistance and adjust actions accordingly.
Related Article: What is an AI Camera in smartphones?
Examples of Machine Learning Include;
- Traffic Predictions: Machine learning helps to estimate the regions where congestion can be found on the basis of daily experiences.
- When booking an uber or Safeboda, the app uses machine learning to estimate the price of the ride.
- Facebook uses machine learning to suggest a list of Facebook users that you can become friends with.
- Pinterest uses machine learning to identify the objects (or pins) in images and recommend similar pins accordingly.
What is deep learning?
This is a machine learning technique that teaches computers to do what comes naturally to humans.
Deep learning is the type of technology behind driverless cars, enabling them to recognize a stop sign or to recognize a pedestrian from a street light.
In deep learning, a computer learns to perform classification tasks directly from images, text, or sound.
Examples of deep learning
- Automated Driving. This uses deep learning to automatically detect objects and pedestrians.
- Deep learning is used to identify objects from satellites that locate areas of interest and identify safe or unsafe zones for aerotroopers.
- Medical researchers are using deep learning to automatically detect cancer cells.
- Industries use deep learning to automatically detect when people or objects are within an unsafe distance of machines.