For those on Twitter, you might be familiar with the section called Twitter Lists. This is a very useful tool but unfortunately, some people do not know how to make use of them.
As you follow more and more people, your feed becomes more and more congested until it becomes a long stream of bad jokes, intolerance, and obscenities among others.
In this article, I will discuss a way to organize your Feed on Twitter using Twitter lists.
A List is a curated group of Twitter accounts. You can create your own Lists or subscribe to Lists created by others. Viewing a List timeline will show you a stream of Tweets from only the accounts on that List.
This can be a useful way to make sure you do not miss out on anything from your favorite Tweeps. You can also follow your competitors using Twitter lists as we shall see later on in this article.
How To make a Twitter List
Twitter allows you to create up to 1000 Lists. Follow the steps below to create a list.
- Click on your profile icon to show the drop-down menu.
- Click on Lists.
- Click Create a new List.
- Select a name for your List and a short description of the List. List names cannot exceed 25 characters, nor can they begin with a number. Then select if you want the List to be private (only accessible to you) or public (anyone can subscribe to the List).
- Click Save List.
The list created can be public or private. For a public list, the people you add will be notified that you have added them on to your list. People can also follow your public list. For a private list, no one will know they are in your list and no one can follow your list. This is a great way to track your competitors.
How to add or remove people from your list
- Click the overflow icon on an account’s profile.
- Select Add or remove from Lists. (You don’t need to be following an account to add them to your List.)
- A pop-up will appear displaying your created Lists. Click the checkbox next to the Lists you would like to add the account to or uncheck the Lists you’d like to remove the account from.
- To check to see if the account you wanted to add was successfully included in that List, navigate to the Lists tab on your profile page. Click the desired List, then click List members. The account will appear in the list of members.
Note: You can view which Lists you are on Twitter for iOS and twitter.com. On your Lists tab, click Member of to view which Lists you are on. To remove yourself from a List you will need to block the creator of that List.
Related Article: How to download Twitter videos and GIFs on Android
How To find a List’s URL to share
- Go to the List you’d like to share.
- Copy the URL that shows up in your browser’s address bar. It will look something like this: https://twitter.com/username/lists/list_name.
- Paste the URL into a message to anyone with whom you want to share the List.
How To edit or delete Lists
- Go to your profile page.
- Click or tap the Lists tab.
- You will see Lists you’ve created and other people’s Lists you follow under Subscribed to.
- Click or tap on the List you’d like to edit or delete from the Lists you’ve created. Click or tap Edit to update your List details or Delete to remove the List entirely.
- You cannot add or remove people from your List on this page —you must do that from the profile pages of each individual you wish to add or remove.
How To follow other people’s Lists
- Click or tap Lists when viewing someone’s profile.
- Select which List you’d like to subscribe to.
- From the List page, click or tap Subscribe to follow the List. You can follow Lists without following the individual accounts in that List.
This is what you should know basically about Twitter Lists.