Do you want to become a Software Developer but are not sure where to start? This article shares insights about becoming a Software Developer in 2022. We share renowned platforms where you can get Software Development Training.
What is Software Development? Software Development is a detailed process through which people make the tools we use every day. Software helps us solve real-life problems like marketing, education, medical services delivery, transportation, innovation, manufacturing, and many more. Software is also known as Apps and Programs.
A person who makes software is generally known as a Software Developer or Software Engineer. Software Developers can specialize in various disciplines or roles. Some examples are; Web Developer, Blockchain Developer, Mobile Apps Developer, Data Engineer, Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Product Manager, Machine Learning Engineer, Frontend Developer, Backend Developer, Web designer, Virtual Reality Engineer, Augmented Reality Engineer, Cloud Engineer, and Embedded Systems Engineer to mention a few.
Why should you become a Software Developer?
Let us look at a few pros and cons that can help decide if we should join the Software Development industry or not.
- Today, one of the most in high-demand skills is coding.
- Software Development salaries and benefits don’t deflate at a high rate compared to other industries. In the United States, Software developers earn an average base salary range of $90,000 to $250,000 annually.
- Software development offers flexible working conditions. Many employers or clients allow Software Developers to work remotely instead of requiring them to be available full-time.
- Besides being employed, Software Development gives you a lot of monetization options including but not limited to Freelancing, part-time, and product selling.
- Learning at your own pace. If you are pursuing a Software Development career, you can learn at your speed.
- Software development is an inclusive field. For example; persons with special needs, color, and any gender can easily thrive in this field compared to entertainment, athletics, and sports.
How to Become a Software Developer. A Web developer’s Roadmap
I will put a major focus on the Web Development specialization because it opens up diverse opportunities due to its popularity. Web Technology powers many other technologies such as Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Web3, and NFT.
To become a Software Developer there are majorly two hard skills to focus on i.e. Computer Operator and Programming skills. Both can be further broken down like below.
- Computer Operator
- What is a computer?
- How to turn on/off a computer
- Components that make up a computer system.
- Operating systems
- File Management
- Installing and uninstalling software
- Instructing the computer via commands
- Touch Typing (at least 25 correct Words Per Minute)
- CSS and CSS Libraries (optionally Bootstrap, TailwindCSS, Material UI, or others)
- UI Prototyping (optionally Figma, Adobe Illustrator, Sketch, Adobe XD)
- Git and Github/Bitbucket
- Databases (SQL and NoSQL)
- Data Structures and Algorithms are known as DSA by short
- Software Development LifeCycle
- Automated Testing
At this moment, you can apply for internships in different companies and organizations including local and international.
Internships help you to prepare for employment by allowing you to put your knowledge to practice and gain the much-needed experience required by employers.
They’re a way of helping you penetrate the job market, as well as help, make an informed decision whether to go for employment or monetize differently.
Tip: Be sure to learn soft skills too if you want to thrive in this industry. Timekeeping, planning, critical thinking, effective communication, and creativity are some soft skills I highly recommend. The more you’re equipped the more competitive you’ll be.
Common misconceptions about Becoming a Software Developer.
There are many discouraging conversations about Becoming a Software Developer.
- You need an expensive computer to start.
- You need to be an expert a Mathematics.
- You need to be younger than 40 years.
- You need to be located in a developed country.
- Software developers don’t sleep
- You need to be the smartest person out there.
Where can you learn about Software Development?
Below is a list of some places to choose from for your software development learning
- YouTube – FREE
- Alison – FREE but paid to get a certificate
- KhanAcademy – FREE
- Udemy – Paid
- Skillshare – Paid
- Pluralsight – Paid
- Datacamp – Paid
- Udacity – Paid
- Sololearn – FREE
- Freecodecamp – FREE
- Andela – FREE
- Microverse – Paid
- Tutorialpoint – FREE
- W3schools – FREE
- Algoexpert – Paid
In Kampala, I recommend Ablestate Creatives Ltd. Their mission is to make Technology Education Fun, Accessible, Short-term, and Hands-on for everybody.
Ablestate was co-founded by an experienced self-taught Software Developer – Wampamba David, who has been in the industry for over 10 years and understands the challenges faced in the Software Development Ecosystem. He trained many individuals in one-on-one sessions and Tech events before he decided to startup a Technology Education Business. Before co-founding Ablestate, he was a practicing entrepreneur, monetize, and passionate personal growth trainer.
Ablestate was registered by the registrar of companies in 2019. They’ve trained more than 40 Ugandans in gaining computer operator and software development skills. Ablestate’s vision is to be the most reliable source of Technology education in East and Sub-saharan Africa. They have a goal of training more than 10,000 Software Developers in Africa in the period of 5 years. Additionally, they connect developers and employers, offer internships and develop software.
Setting up a developer workstation is not an easy thing to achieve majorly because of the financial challenges. Ablestate supports its subscribers and students to set up professional developer workstations. At Ablestate you also get financial freedom knowledge at no additional cost.
What to expect if you join Ablestate for your Software Development Education.
- You should be able to develop software with little or no supervision at all.
- You should be able to perform incredibly well in job interviews.
- You should be able to work in developer teams as a leader or team member.
- You should be able to initiate and lead meaningful discussions that make developing software smoother and faster.
- You should be better positioned to monetize your skills in other ways if you choose not to be employed.
- You should have an improved level of self-esteem.
- You should be ready to judge what you’re able to do and not in terms of software development.
- You should be able to learn new methodologies and programming languages by yourself.
The duration of becoming a professional computer operator at Ablestate takes a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 6 months. But, it takes 6 – 12 months to become a world-class software developer at Ablestate.
Successful students are awarded E-degrees and issued unique codes for their certifications. Ablestate promotes environmental conservation and will not print certificates to advocate climate change. However, students can download and print the certificates by themselves.
The cost of a software development course at Ablestate is UGX 1.5M (One million and five hundred thousand shillings). It starts from 267,000/= (Two hundred sixty-seven thousand) for the professional computer operator course.
Ablestate also offers half and full scholarships, as well as regular discounts of, have up to 50%. In fact, in Ablestate’s history, 75% of the 40 trainees have been trained on a full scholarship basis. Ablestate prides in a 94% course completion rate.
In both courses, you will learn various soft skills. You’ll learn about financial management, personal branding, presentation skills, and applying for visas.
Ablestate has two intakes in a year; the February and August intakes. Do you have financial difficulties, let that not stop you from pursuing your dreams. Apply and indicate the type of scholarship you need. The scholarships are competitive. Click here to Apply for Becoming a Software Developer.