In 2013, Snapchat revolutionized social media by introducing “Stories,” a feature that allowed users to share photos and videos that would disappear after 24 hours. The concept of ephemeral content quickly gained popularity, prompting other platforms to follow suit. Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and WhatsApp all introduced their versions of Stories in subsequent years.
Now, Telegram, a popular messaging app, is joining the Stories bandwagon. Pavel Durov, Telegram’s CEO, recently announced the imminent arrival of Stories on the platform, acknowledging the persistent demand from users.
Telegram’s Approach to Stories: Durov acknowledged that while Stories have become a common feature across various platforms, Telegram decided to introduce them based on the requests of its users over the years. To ensure a unique experience, Telegram has incorporated several distinguishing features into its Stories offering.
- Privacy Control: Telegram users will have precise control over who can view their stories. They can choose between options like making them visible to everyone, only contacts (with exceptions), selected contacts, or a customized list of close friends. This granular control allows users to tailor their Story’s audience according to their preferences.
- Compact User Interface: To optimize space within the app, Telegram has placed Stories in an expandable section at the top of the chat list. This design ensures easy access without compromising valuable screen real estate.
- Flexibility: In addition to a compact UI, Telegram allows users to hide Stories posted by any contact, effectively moving them to a separate ‘Hidden’ list in the Contacts section. This feature grants users more control over the content they wish to see on their main screen.
- Captions and Tagging: Telegram Stories offer a range of powerful photo and video editing tools. Users can enhance their content with captions to provide additional context, links, or tags to other individuals. This functionality enriches the storytelling experience and fosters deeper connections.
- Dual Camera Support: Telegram capitalizes on the success of its Video Messages feature by incorporating the option to post photos and videos taken simultaneously from the front and rear cameras. This dual-camera support enables users to express themselves creatively and capture moments from multiple perspectives.
- Optional Ephemerality: Users can choose the lifespan of their stories, with options ranging from 6, 12, 24, or 48 hours. Alternatively, stories can be permanently displayed on the user’s profile page, with individual privacy settings for each story. This versatility empowers users to customize their content’s visibility and duration.
- Use ChatGPT in Telegram With this Bot
- How to Subscribe to Telegram Premium and get more out of Telegram
The introduction of Stories on Telegram brings several benefits and potential implications for users and the platform itself. Saving stories to profile pages enhances the informational and visual appeal of Telegram profiles, allowing users to explore more content from their close contacts and gain valuable insights from group or channel interactions.
Additionally, the ability to repost messages from channels to stories amplifies exposure, making it easier for channels to achieve viral status and attract more subscribers. This feature opens new avenues for content creators and enhances engagement within the Telegram community.
Pavel Durov, Telegram’s CEO, expressed how even skeptics within the Telegram team came to appreciate the value of Stories after internal testing. With the final testing phase underway, Telegram is set to release Stories in early July. Durov believes that this exciting development will usher in a new era for Telegram, elevating the platform’s sociability and enjoyment to new heights.
As Telegram joins the ranks of social media platforms embracing Stories, users can look forward to a fresh and engaging way to share their experiences with friends and connections. Are you excited to try out Telegram Stories, let us know in the comment section your thoughts about it.