It’s hard to end a conversation about smartphones these days without mentioning Xiaomi. The Chinese brand dubbed the iPhone killer has made a name for itself and has become part of the conversations of the tech-savvy. While you can’t deny that Xiaomi’s success is primarily due to its affordable price, its brand plays a big part too. The hard to pronounce name aside, there are lots of common questions about Xiaomi.
The Technological World is fast-paced. We are lucky to be witnesses to this evolution. From Simon, the first smartphone to Nokia, the King of the 2000s. From Samsung and Apple dominance to the rise of Chinese brands like Xiaomi, Vivo, and Oppo. No doubt, new brands have come into the scene and some, like Xiaomi, have succeeded in creating a name of their own. Here are 10 common questions about Xiaomi.
10 common questions about Xiaomi
1. What is Xiaomi
There isn’t a better way to start the 10 common questions about Xiaomi than this. Xiaomi is a Chinese electronics company headquartered in Beijing. Xiaomi makes and invests in smartphones, mobile apps, laptops, and related consumer electronics.
2. How was Xiaomi started?
Xiaomi was founded 8 years ago on 6 April 2010 by Lei Jun. The company released its first smartphone in August 2011 and has rapidly gained market share in China to become China’s largest smartphone company in 2014.
3. What Mobile Operating System does Xiaomi use?
Xiaomi uses MIUI based on Google’s Android Operating system. MIUI refers to MI User Interface. Its is a stock and aftermarket firmware for smartphones and tablet computers developed by Xiaomi. MIUI includes various features such as theming support.
4. How do you pronounce Xiaomi?
The pronunciation for Xiaomi is (/ˈʃaʊˌmiː/) or “Shao-mi”. Yes, that it.
5. What other products does Xiaomi make?
As well as mobile phones, Xiaomi has started selling wearables, mobile accessories, and appliances such as television and speakers. It now also offers tablets, laptops, and smart-home devices – all available on its web store.
6. Is Xiaomi a brand to trust compared to Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Tecno, Infinix? Are Xiaomi phones durable?
When masses start to relate to one of the best in the business, it definitely means you have good products. Many reviewers and customers refer to Xiaomi as the Apple of China. This is because it offers excellent devices on a small budget. Xiaomi smartphones may be close to Apple and Samsung flagships but not better at the moment. However, there are some aspects where Xiaomi beats other companies such at their revolutionary MI Mix smartphone. Xiaomi makes better smartphones than Tecno and Infinix.
7. Why is Xiaomi so cheap even with high specs?
Number 7 on the 10 most common questions about Xiaomi is about a correlation of price and specs. Xiaomi sells an equally spec’d device like the Samsung and Apple flagship at almost half price. There is about 3 reason why this is possible.
- Xiaomi avoids spending millions on advertising offline. Xioami is an online company and has turned its consumers to be its brand ambassador. A smart word of mouth campaign which saves them money on branding and advertising.
- Efficient partners and affiliate marketing. Xiaomi partners with giants like Amazon and Flipkart and if you make any purchase using the MIUI browser, you are helping them earn. For every purchase you make, Xiaomi is making money out of it.
- No offline store and production strategy. Xiaomi believes in cost-cutting by refusing to maintain the warehouse or storehouse. This saves them cost maintenance and human resource. Xiaomi also produces less per unit smartphones to reduce the cost of production. This increases the demand due to less supply of MI devices on the online platform.
8. What is the difference between Redmi and Xiaomi?
Xiaomi is the brand while MI and Redmi are its series phones. Just like Apple is the brand and iPhone are their devices.
9. What are the most popular Xiaomi smartphones
Xiaomi has a lot of fantastic phones, and they all offer great value. The most popular Xiaomi smartphones include:
Xiaomi Mi 8, Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s, Xiaomi Black Shark, Xiaomi Pocophone F1, Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro, Xiaomi Mi Note 2 among others.
10. Is Xiaomi available in Africa? Where can I buy? How much are Xiaomi phones?
The company does most of its business in China and India. but it’s slowly expanding to Western markets as well. In Africa, Xiaomi can be purchased on online platforms such as Jumia, Avechi among others. Prices range between $100 and $600 depending on which device you prefer.
3 thoughts on “What is Xiaomi: 10 most common questions about Xiaomi”