The pain of sending money to the wrong person can be frustrating especially if you don’t know what to do. This can happen to anyone even the smart ones; sometimes we made hazy and quick decisions and just a mistake on one number returns the wrong sender address. If we are not keen to check, we can make losses. In this article, we are going to see how you can reverse a mobile money transaction on MTN Uganda in just two simple ways.
We shall see the first straightforward method of using USSD with MTN’s dubbed ola Reverse and later customer care and support.
Method 1: Kola Reverse USSD Code
- Step 1: Dial *165*8#.
- Step 2: Select option 7, Initiate Reversal.
- Step 3: On the Next menu, you will be able to see three recent sending transactions that you made. Go ahead and select the transaction that you want to reverse.
- Step 4: Confirm transaction with MTN MoMo PIN.
- Step 5: You will receive a notification informing you how the money has been blocked on the number you sent it to if the user hasn’t withdrawn it yet.
- Step 6: The wrong number will receive a notification for approval to enter their PIN in order for MTN to return it to you.
- Step 7: Hold on for a few minutes, the money will be reversed to your MTN MoMo account and you receive a confirmatory text once that happens.
NOTE: This can only happen if the owner of the number has agreed to and hasn’t withdrawn the money yet! Otherwise, contact Customer Care for more information and assistance in case the person refuses to approve the return in their mobile money approval list. (*165*8*3*1)
Method 2: Contact MTN Customer Care
STEP 1: First, get in touch with the available MTN Customer care service agent as soon as you notice that you have sent the money to the wrong number. Remember the money can only be recovered if it’s not withdrawn on the other end.
MTN Support Channels
- Call 100
- WhatasApp: 0772123100
- Social Media: facebook.com/mtnug or https://twitter.com/mtnug
- Email: [email protected]
STEP 2: The Customer Care agent will immediately query the transaction and amount sent to the Wrong number. After an immediate communication, MTN will quickly freeze the money so that it can not be withdrawn.
STEP 3: Subsequently, the MTN customer care agent will engage both parties on a conference call to establish the fact and reach an agreement. If an agreement is reached, the process to return the money to your account will start. The money will be retrieved back to your account within 24 hours. Contact MTN customer care in case of any delays.
STEP 4: However in case of any disagreement between both parties, MTN will abolish the recovery process immediately. At this moment this will be altered as a police case and the sender will need a court order to allow the reversal. Alternatively, if the wrong recipient’s phone is off for 3 consecutive months, MTN will automatically reverse the money to the sender.
MTN Uganda encourages all its customers to avoid such problems by reading the prompts carefully, especially the last message that requests you to confirm the number and name of the recipient. We hope you have learned how to initiate a reversal on money sent to the wrong MTN Mobile number.