It is often said that the Nigerian dream is to travel and live abroad. Because of the harsh economy, high rate of unemployment and poverty level, more and more Nigerians are migrating to the west – in search of a better life.
If you want to achieve this “Nigerian dream” and don’t have an idea on how to go about it, then this article is for you. In this article, we will break down how to easily apply for an international passport – without it, you will not be allowed into another country.
For Adults (above 18 years of age)
- you will be required to fill an application form
- 2 recent passport sized photographs
- Proof of payment
- Birth certificate
- local government/ state of origin certificate
- Filled Guarantor form, including one passport sized photograph of the Guarantor
- Marriage certificate (if any)
- Affidavit for Name change (if any)
For minors (below 18)
- Filled application form
- One passport photograph signed by the reverse side by one of the parents
- Proof of Nigerian citizenship of parents
- Birth certificate of the minor
- Evidence of payment
- Letter of consent by both parents. Please note that a valid court order must be provided if one parent is unavailable. Also, if the child is adopted, a court order and a letter form the ministry responsible for women and child development would be needed.
How to apply for international passport in Nigeria
Application for international passport is available both online and offline. Either ways, you’ll receive a hard copy of the passport.
To get better updates of the requirements needed for international passport, visit Nigeria’s immigration website.
- First, log on to the Nigerian immigration service web portal
- Choose the passport type and processing country
- Fill the required application form
- Upload scanned copies of required documents (birth certificate, ID card etc.)
- Choose your preferred payment option (visa, Mastercard etc.)
- After payment is done, you will be given an application ID and a reference number
- Print out Guarantor’s form and have it certified
- Submit the completed application form with other needed document in person at your passport office.
- After submission, you will have to show up at a specified immigration office for biometrics.
This process takes a longer time and requires you to have an agent. You also need to be cautious of the agent you reach out to, so you do not get defrauded. Even with an agent, you will still need to appear in person at the Nigerian immigration office with your documents for physical verification.
Application process for a fresh passport can take up to two day after biometrics data have been captured. It can take up to 30 days in some cases.