MTN Uganda and compeer Ericson awarded Ugandan innovators that participated in the MTN Open API challenge to develop applications that use MTN MoMo APIs, to monetize both consumer and business opportunities digitally.
Between the line:
- MTN gave third parties access to its Mobile Money Access Programming Interface.
- The access gave the developers a chance to develop solutions without facing the cost of building a new API and maintaining it.
- Three innovators from Uganda win cash prizes and one gets a trip to the Ericson offices in Sweden.
In November 2018, MTN Uganda made history with a move that would spur innovation in the developer community by becoming the first telecom company in Uganda and in the MTN Group to grant third-party access to its Mobile Money Access Programming Interface (API) in what became the MoMo Open API challenge.
This way, brilliant Innovators would have a chance to provide solutions without being crushed by the costs of building a new API and maintaining it.
“The idea of the challenge was to give developers access to the telecom company’s Mobile money platform so that they can create products that ease payment options and leverage the over 10million MTN clients registered on Mobile Money.”Wim Vanhelleputte, CEO MTN Uganda said
The Winners of the MTN Open API Challenge
1st Prize: $2,500 and a trip to Ericsson Offices in Sweden for one team member
- Team name: Pearlbrains
- Name of App: WooCommerce
- An online platform focusing on e-retailors, giving them access to reach more clients while collecting payments using MTN Mobile Money.
2nd Prize: $2,000
- Team name: Piper2
- Name of App: Digital School Bursar
- An application that allows students (or children) to request and manage their own finances when away from their guardians
3rd Prize: $1,500
- Team name: Pause
- Name of App: Easy Momo
- An android app that embeds MTN MoMo API, enabling generation and reading of QR codes to be used for business process integration.
“Innovation and cultivating a culture of nurturing talent are two areas of priority for Ericsson. We take pride in the fact that in collaboration with our partner MTN Group, MoMo hackathon provided a platform to local talent to showcase their solid potential to address substantial social and business needs.”Nicolas Blixell, Vice President at Ericsson Middle East & Africa
As the biggest Mobile Money platform in Uganda, MTN Mobile money has evolved to allow payments of goods and services, school fees payments, loans, insurance and savings among others.