Watching TV shows and movies on Netflix, or other streaming platforms is best done with friends, family, and loved ones. But usually, there are times when people that we want to binge-watch movies with are not physically available. Teleparty (formerly Netflix Party) makes this process easier by allowing users to watch TV online with friends.
Teleparty launched as Netflix Party and grew popular at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. The developers report that over ten million people have installed Netflix Party and are watching Netflix shows with their friends all over the world. That’s an impressive number.
The platform, which has just rebranded to Teleparty, has now expanded to support more than one platform—not just Netflix. With Teleparty, you can now enjoy watching movies with friends virtually on these platforms: Hulu, Hulu+, HBOmax, Disney+, and HBO Now.
Also, Teleparty currently supports just the Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers. However, there’s a plan to expand and support other browsers soon. With the shared numbers as backing, the platform now calls itself the largest social TV app in the world.
In this post, we cover how to watch TV (or movies) with friends online using the Teleparty tool. Stay with me.
Watch TV Online With Friends – Teleparty
How to Use Teleparty on Chrome
- Search for and install the “Teleparty” chrome extension and after installation, pin it to the Chrome toolbar.
- Open a video you want to watch together on any of the supported platforms e.g Netflix, Disney+.
- While the video is open, click on the Teleparty icon located and pinned at the top of the Chrome browser.
- Click on Start the party, it shows a chat space and link to join the party.
- Copy the link and share with whoever you want to join your party.
How to Use Teleparty on Microsoft Edge Browser
If you use Microsoft Edge, and you want to watch TV/movies with friends online, follow the steps below to do that.
- From your Edge browser, visit the Microsoft Add-ons store and add the Teleparty extension to browser. The extension will be automatically pinned to the browser.
- After installation, open a video to watch together on any of the supported platforms.
- While the video is open, click on the Tp icon at the top of your Microsoft Edge browser.
- Click on Start the party and share the link it generates with whoever wants to join in.
Here are few more things you should know about the joint TV viewing experience with Teleparty.
- Viewers can send in messages to each other via the chat space provided just at the right side of the screen.
- When one person pauses or plays the movie, it does the same for the other viewers in the party. This is to enable sync during the screening such that everyone is on the same screen.
- The party creator can choose to be the only one to control the viewing party. To do this, while you’re about to create a party, check the option that reads “Only I have control.”
I’s time to enjoy watching TV shows and movies online with friends and loved ones.